Finding someone that you love to spend time and feel comfortable with is tricky, but that’s more difficult is staying in a healthy relationship with that person. Therapy is for everyone, and if you feel that your relationship is in hot water, then we recommend couples therapy. There are many reasons why a couple may seek therapy: lack of listening, repeated arguments, lack or loss of trust, etc. It is indeed the best option to save a relationship. Read on to learn more about it!
The definition of couples therapy
Therapy is often reserved for couples in crisis. However, it is also a way to make a relationship last and improve. Communication is the foundation of a successful relationship. If it is neglected, both spouses can end up hating each other or even separating. To avoid this, consult a couple therapist. They will assist you and encourage you to express yourself to get to the bottom of the problem: infidelity, misunderstanding, lying, etc. In order to help you re-engage in dialogue, the therapist will try to promote understanding so that you can find compromises.
The different stages of a couple therapy
There are 3 main stages:
- The first consultation: it is evident that both partners must be present at each session. During the first session, they take turns to talk about the reasons that led them to seek therapy. At the end of the session, the therapist commits to finding a new axis on which they will work during the subsequent sessions. For their part, both spouses must already take the initiative to rebuild their lives actively.
- The implementation of the work: even after many years of living together, it is possible that both spouses do not know certain traits of their partner’s character. It is, therefore, during the sessions that each of them will be able to discover their partner from another angle. This step consists mainly in developing the couple’s ability to listen. Couple therapy is always a success if the objective of both partners is the same: “to save their relationship”.
- Role-playing: Role-playing consists of assigning a role to each partner and will allow the therapist to know the origin of their conflicts. In order to get there, both partners will act out their marital relationship. Each partner may have a different perspective that will lead to an understanding of their problems. Together, they can find solutions to rekindle their relationship.
Reasons to seek couple therapy.
The question is always asked: when should you seek couple therapy? The answer is obvious: when things are not going well. Whether a couple is new or not, blended or not, it is recommended to go to therapy. Here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons to consult a couple therapist:
- The disengagement of the other causes the suffering of one spouse.
- Constant blaming or accusations.
- The infantilization or devaluation of their partner, in case of unemployment.
- The difference in lifestyle.
- Difficulty in having a constructive dialogue.
- The presence of a sexual disorder: the lack of desire.
- An insistence on divorce.
In this last case, consulting a couple therapist is a necessity in order to preserve the relationship (if that is their goal). In addition, therapy can also help to facilitate the separation. Being in a relationship is like being on a two-way street; you both have to make an effort for the relationship to prosper and last. It’s not once you’ve found someone you’re set for life; you need to still listen to them and take care of them even after you are a couple. One important thing is communication, if you no longer see yourself in that relationship or feel unhappy, talk to your partner about it; if you are no longer sexually satisfied, maybe try an open relationship; if you no longer feel romantically happy, try therapy, and if there are any issues with both, then you need to take a hard decision, try to work through it or break the relationship to see elsewhere, You only have one life, so live it to the fullest don’t stay in a relationship that doesn’t satisfy you. Carpe Diem and live life to the fullest because you only have one of those. We are here for a good time, not for a long time.
Sound off in the comments section below and tell us what you want to read next!